Bodybuilder Profile: “The Austrian Oak” Arnold Schwarzenegger
Arnold Alois Schwarzenegger is an Austro-American former professional bodybuilder, actor, businessman, investor, and politician. Schwarzenegger served as the 38th Governor of California from 2003 until 2011. Schwarzenegger began weight training at the age of 15 years old. He won the Mr. Universe title at age 20 and went on to win the Mr. Olympia contest seven times. Schwarzenegger has remained a prominent presence in bodybuilding and has written many books and articles on the sport. Schwarzenegger gained worldwide fame as a Hollywood action film icon. He was nicknamed the “Austrian Oak” and the “Styrian Oak” in his bodybuilding days, “Arnie” during his acting career and more recently the “Governator” (from “Governor” and “Terminator”).
- Name: Arnold Alois Schwarzenegger
- Nicknames: The Oak, The Austrian Oak, The Olympian, Oak, The King, Champ, Arnie,
Schwazzie, Arnold Strong
- Location: Los Angeles, California USA
- Born: July 30, 1947 in Graz, Austria.
- Height: 6’2″
- Arms: 22″
- Chest: 57″
- Waist: 34″
- Thighs: 28.5″
- Calves: 20″
- Off Season Weight: Around 260 lbs.
- Competition Weight: Around 235 lbs.
- Favorite Exercise: Bent-Over Rows
- 1963 Steirer Hof Competition in Graz, Austria (runner up).
- 1965 Junior Mr. Europe in Germany
- 1966 Best-Built Athlete of Europe in Germany
- 1966 International Powerlifting Championship in Germany
- 1966 Mr. Europe – amateur in Germany.
- 1966 NABBA Mr. Universe – amateur in London, England
- 1967 NABBA Mr. Universe – amateur in London, England
- 1968 German Powerlifting Championship in Germany
- 1968 IFBB Mr. International in Tijuana, Mexico
- 1968 NABBA Mr. Universe – professional in London, England
- 1968 IFBB Mr. Universe in Miami, Florida (tall class winner)
- 1969 IFBB Mr. Universe in New York
- 1969 IFBB Mr. Olympia in New York (2nd place to Sergio Olivia)
- 1969 NABBA Mr. Universe – professional in London, England
- 1969 IFBB Mr. Europe – professional in Germany
- 1970 NABBA Mr. Universe – professional in London, England
- 1970 AAU Pro Mr. World in Columbus, Ohio
- 1970 IFBB Mr. Olympia in New York
- 1971 IFBB Mr. Olympia in Paris, France
- 1972 IFBB Mr. Olympia in Essen, Germany
- 1973 IFBB Mr. Olympia in New York
- 1974 IFBB Mr. Olympia in New York
- 1975 IFBB Mr. Olympia in Pretoria, South Africa
- 1980 IFBB Mr. Olympia in Sydney, Australia
Click on the title of a movie to learn
more about it and/or order it!
- The Expendables (2010) Cameo
- Around The World In 80 Days (2004)
- The Rundown (2003, cameo)
- Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines (2003)
- Collateral Damage (2002)
- End of Days (1999)
- Batman and Robin (1997)
- Jingle All the Way (1996)
- Eraser (1996)
- Terminator 2: 3-D (1996)
- Sinatra: 80 Years My Way (1995)
- Junior (1994)
- True Lies (1994)
- Dave (1993)
- Last Action Hero (1993)
- The Last Party (1993)
- Lincoln (1992)
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
- Kindergarten Cop (1990)
- Total Recall (1990)
- Red Heat (1988)
- Twins (1988)
- Predator (1987)
- The Running Man (1987)
- Raw Deal (1986)
- Commando (1985)
- Red Sonja (1985)
- Conan the Destroyer (1984)
- The Terminator (1984)
- Conan the Barbarian (1981)
- The Jayne Mansfield Story (1980)
- Scavenger Hunt (1979)
- The Villain (1979)
- Pumping Iron (1977)
- Stay Hungry (1976)
- The Long Goodbye (1973)
- Hercules in New York (1970)
Click on the title of a book to learn
more about it and/or order it!
- The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding
- Arnold’s Bodybuilding for Men
- Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder
Arnold Schwarzenegger started his career in Graz, Austria, with only one thing in view: the Mr. Universe title. The costs to be a member of a sports school were too high, so he equipped his own sports room in the basement of his parent’s home. But in 1961 he met Kurt Marnul, the former Mr. Austria. Marnul was impressed of Arnold’s body and asked him to train in the Atletic Union in Graz. Arnold began his intense and extensive training.
In 1965 he enlisted in the Austrian army, but to compete in Stuttgart, Arnold had to go A.W.O.L and because of that, he was jailed when he came back. He won the competition in Stuttgart and he was awarded the title Jr. Mr. Europe. By the age of twenty he was named Mr. Germany and Mr. Universe. Later he won many other titles and he decided to try his luck somewhere else. After following some English lessons and after a job as roadworker in Santa Monica, California, he got the offer to play the leading part in the documentary Stay Hungry. The role brought in a Golden Globe Award and meant the start of a spectacular, successful career.
He’s married to the American TV-presenter Maria Owings Shriver (in 1986). They have four children: Katherine Eunice Schwarzenegger (age 7), Christina Aurelia Schwarzenegger (age 5), Patrick Schwarzenegger (age 3) and Christopher Sergant Schwarzenegger (born: September 27th ,1997). They reside in Pacific Pallasades, California
Some of the vehicles Arnold owns are: Porsche 911 Carrera convertible, Mercedes SL600, El Dorado Biarritz convertible, 4 Hummer Humvees, Harley Davidson motorcycle, Gulfstream III private jet
Arnold owns Oak Productions, Schatzi on Main, World Gym Enterprises, Planet Hollywood, Inc. (major co-owner), and All Star Fitness Products
Some of Arnolds sports and hobbies are: bodybuilding, running, swimming, scuba diving, tennis, skiing, bowling, horseback riding, motorcycle riding, archery, skeet and trapshooting, bicycling, playing pool, traveling, drawing and collecting art.
Some other fun facts about Arnold are:
The name Schwarzenegger means black plowman/ploughman.
His father Gustav was a former military officer who later became a police officer.
Arnold had a one year old other brother, Meinhard, who died in a car accident when he was in his twenties.
Arnold was raised in a very strict catholic home.
Called by the Guiness Book of World Records, “the most perfectly developed man in the history of the world.”
He Served as Chairman of the President’s Council on Physical Fitness (US) (1990). Noted fan of cigar smoking.